Monday, November 22, 2010

STRATEGIC BREAKDOWNS (In Three Acts)

Introduction:

Nothing succeeds like success.

It is very encouraging to see people using both quantitative and a qualitative approaches to planning. (I find the word strategic to be a word not unlike words like shared vision, visioning process, avoiding group thing, consensus building and the lot. Each expression worthy in its own right--perhaps when first conceived, but not trite. Also, too often a crutch. "There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labour of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds. (A favourite of Thomas Edison.)

Speaking of which, Thomas Edison did not need a committee to invent the light bulb.

Then, too, he fell prey to faulty assumptions: AC v. DC. He was too close to his brain-child to see its flaws.

The greatest strategic risk most often overlooked by Executives is that the person in charge of putting someone in charge of managing a project simply is not qualified. That person then relies on more than assumptions. I dislike the word "toolbox" so I will use the word, template.

As Executives began to move to the shared vision, no I in team philosophy they failed to see inherent flaw. The greatest one: "The Player."

.............................THE PLAYER [In Three Acts]...........................


Here we not only read The Player's mind, we are also that fly on the wall.


"Anon."*

Player [speaking to self.] "I have no clue what's going on. I know, I will embrace the concept of horizontal management. We need a committee. I will get on that committee."

[Now, for those of you who are really "into" metaphors:]


Leader: "Okay, group, anyone have any ideas?" [Think outside the box; there are no stupid ideas, questions, etc. Only the stupidity of not saying anything; shared vision; no I in team.]

The Player: "Yes. The world is not round, like this orange. The world is round like this plate!"
[Stolen from a Smother's Brothers skit.]

Leader: "Really? I would like you to share your feelings on that Idea. I think we can all benefit from the discussion even if some on the committee respectfully disagree!"

Player: "I heard it on the Smothers Brothers show!"

Leader: "Anyone else like to comment or share viewpoints? [As long as we are all sitting around wasting time.]

Other Members: "Blah, blah, blah..."

The Player: "You know, after listening to other people, I believe you may be right. The world is round like this orange."

Leader: "Good for you! You see! This method works. We now have a shared vision.!!!! I will tell Mr. Big, upstairs how well we all worked.

Everyone: [privately] "At first we thought he was a real jerk. But we can see he is willing to embrace the ideas of others in the group. He is a team player.

Leader [to boss] "At first I thought he was a real jerk. However, you were right, Sir. This shared vision thing really works. He is a team player willing to embrace a shared vision and see the other members' points of view."

Big Executive: "Great! I always knew I was a great Executive with great Leadership Skills!!!"

End Act I


* Anon. A word often used in literary plays. [Ed. note: We don't want the audience to feel cheated.]



Sincerely,

Slim

copyright (c) 2010 Slim Fairview

No comments: