Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Comments on the Hiring Process Today #4

If I said, "loyal", you might think I don't agree with you. I do. Therefore, I will describe the talentless as obsequious. Uriah Heep.

It wasn't too long ago, those with ambitions were advised, "Make your boss look good. (That, along with make yourself indispensable.) Then, when he moves up, you move up with him.

Alluding to my topic on group norms in the corporate world, the aforementioned is a cultural norm--corporate culture. Too often a vital one if one does not want someone taking his job away from him.

CAESAR: Let me have men about me that are fat; Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights: Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.

ANTONY: Fear him not, Caesar; he's not dangerous; He is a noble Roman and well given.

CAESAR: Would he were fatter! But I fear him not: yet if my name were liable to fear,
I do not know the man I should avoid so soon as that spare Cassius. He reads much;
He is a great observer and he looks quite through the deeds of men: he loves no plays,
as thou dost, Antony; he hears no music; seldom he smiles, and smiles in such a sort
as if he mock'd himself and scorn'd his spirit that could be moved to smile at any thing.
Such men as he be never at heart's ease whiles they behold a greater than themselves,
and therefore are they very dangerous. -- Shakespeare

No comments: